Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I got served!!!


I'm one of the lucky few,i finished uni in record time......5yrs! i can not even venture near the complaints desk so i'm grateful. i remember when i wrote my final paper,i was sure nothing could stop me now and the stress i silently bore for 5yrs had finally come to a head. Hopefuls rushed out of the exam hall confident of a new beginning,never would they be caught up in the cross fire between the federal government and the almighty ASUU! hey hurray! i cant tell u for sure if my memory permits me ,that my voice for one of the loudest that day. i had finished uni without an or some extra years! My father's pride would have gone full circle if not for my 2.2 CPGA!!
I finished Feb 2006,project written and submitted and all,then the wait began. At first it was, "sorry we cant find your GNS204 results,the GNS dept hasnt forwarded it to us yet and by virtue of that,your name couldnt make the list of "cleared" students going for this month's youth service".
Superman would have gone greener than the cryptonite would ave made him with envy at the speed with which i ran to the GNS dept to personally fetch my own results.i was cleared but then it was too late.
September 2006,Batch B of the National Youth Service Corps,missed a corper.....yeah thats right! me!. my name was once again omitted from the list cos non-academic staff went on strike and there was no one to type the names and only the names that had been typed,before the strike made it. God help the person whose name was typed halfway thru his surname before they downed tools!!!
So here we are,October 2007 and i'm proud to say i am going to serve my fatherland in the murky hinterlands of Bayelsa State!!!
Suffice to say,at some point i was sure i wasnt gon make this year again. thats what the system does to your psyche,it messes u up big time. u begin to think things and pretty soon,u start to see them!!!
i dont know that much about Bayelsa state,all i know is its an oil producing state with about 2million people whose main occupation is fishing,trading and farming.
My overactive imagination hasnt helped issues as well,i keep seeing heavily armoured militants rounding up our camp which i believe is located on one out of the three local governments on land. i can see them cos i can understand their motive for wanting to and probably succeed in kidnapping or holding hostage a whole camp of people from all over Nigeria because afterall, a corpers is technically and officially government property!!
Come monday, 15th october 2007,the NYSC programme officially begins. Please wish the entire batch B posted to bayelsa state, God's speed? Yup!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we should alert guiness book of world records for u graduation record. congrats.

Abdul-Rasaq